Sunday, August 14, 2011

Classes and doctors and showers, oh my!

I'm happy to report that both Jim and I survived the two labor videos in our second child birth class this past week. Although I have to admit there were a few moments when the nurse was explaining the stages of labor before the video where I felt like I was having an allergic reaction or quasi panic attack! Seriously, I was just trying to wrap my head around the whole idea and I think the baby could even tell how freaked out I was (he was dancing a jig I tell you).

To be fair, it was scary, but it was extremely informative and I'm so glad to be able to take these classes. In fact, the one woman from the video went natural and I was pretty impressed by what I would call her "calmness" (calm compared to what I think I will sound like in that situation). I think the worst thing that came out of her mouth was "I can't do this" or "I'm not ready," but I have a feeling my version of that might be a bit more vulgar! Just give me the drugs, and no one will get hurt ;)

One thing I've been thinking about outside of class is that my hospital bag isn't already packed. I have time, right?!

So after Monday night's class at the hospital we wound up right back there Tuesday morning for our anesthesia consultation. The nurse anesthesitist who met with us was so detailed and informative--more so than anyone at the doctor's office has been so far. I can't tell you how much I appreciated her time and professionalism. Even when I started to get emotional, she was friendly, supportive and spoke about her own labor and delivery experiences.

So just as a reminder, the reason we had to have this consultation was because of my back surgery and the spinal rods that remain. Sometimes, former scoliosis patients who go into labor can't have epidurals because of the length or location of their scars in proximity to the rods, not to mention how far they can bend forward to expose the space between certain vertebrae, etc. I was really anxious to know what my options were, and after all this, all they could tell me was that it would be a gameday decision. They promised me it wouldn't be a student doctor administering the epidural (which brought some relief), but even then, they will only be able to work with the bottom inch of my scar and the vertebrae will have to be in the right spots. So now I'm trying to drum up as much courage as I can find incase I can't have it. Just need to keep reminding myself that I went through two major back surgeries at 14, and that this is nothing compared to that. Plus, I'll have a new baby boy to look forward to after it's over. And that's all that matters.

Last big event of this week was the shower! Many thanks to all of our family members for throwing such an adorable event complete with entertaining games, awesome food and cute as can be decorations. The theme, dreamed up by my sister, Jessica, was "Ship's Ahoy, It's a Boy!" and everything fit right in... from the blue foamy (ocean-esque) punch to the sailboat centerpieces and more.

And speaking of the ocean, I can't forget to mention the surprise shower Jim's mom, Kathy threw for us at the beach on vacation in July. It was such a shock to see the house decorated and gifts for the baby from all of Jim's extended family that was on vacation with us. I cried of course, AND we unveiled the baby's name that night! We also revealed the name to the rest of the guests at the shower this past Saturday, so if you weren't there, I guess you're out of luck until he's born.

Just kidding! It's with great excitement (and some shock that we were able to agree this early), that I announce Baby Draher's real name, Austin James (AJ)!

Well, that's all the news for now. Below are some photos from the shower and the nursery that is really starting to take shape. Even with the crib fully assembled, it's still hard for Jim or me to believe we're having a baby. And that he'll be here in a month and a half!

32-week profile


The Grandmas!


















No comments:

Post a Comment