Saturday, November 26, 2011

Holy growth spurt!

My little pumpkin isn't so little anymore! At his two-month appointment with our pediatrician Dr. Casper (on Halloween no less), we discovered that this one-time preemie is now in the 70th percentile for weight measuring in at 12 pounds, 2 ounces. And this on a regular birth chart--not a preemie chart! I can't believe how quickly he's growing. That was two weeks ago. By now he's probably up to 13. I guess that's what happens when you're a high-calorie preemie formula. He'll be on this formula until the end of December, so he could be huge by Christmas!

As you can imagine, we are still going through the clothes quickly. It's almost like I have become attached to certain outfits--wanting to save them until the person who bought them comes to visit, or for a get together, but before you know it they are too small! It's a bit depressing actually. But with each piece Austin outgrows, I can add to the stockpile of clothes to save for baby #2. And no Grandmas--that is not happening tomorrow or in the near future!

The last few weeks have certainly been eventful. We celebrated a great aunt and three cousins' birthdays, so Austin was able to meet more family at these gatherings, as well as revisit with those who had already met him. Most of our relatives were fighting in line to get to hold him next. At my nephew Mitchell's birthday, my sister Stephanie had to hide from her 10-year old daughter Morgan because Morgan wanted to steal Austin. And their neighbor Susan literally snatched the burp cloth from my shoulder right after I put it on as her way of getting to hold the baby next. It was quite entertaining, and let's be honest--too many people wanting to hold your baby is a nice problem to have. And when some of those people are just babies themselves, it's too cute for words.

Thanksgiving was a fun day too. In fact, Austin finally got to wear the outfit I've been most excited to put him in. It says "Mommy's Little Turkey" on the shirt front, with "Gobble" on each of the feet. On the butt, there was a colorful turkey :)  It was precious! By the end of the evening, we had changed him into a Christmas onesie with fleece pants. This one read "What Santa doesn't bring for Christmas Grandma will." Likely true!

In addition to first holidays, we also survived our first baby headcold. The bug reached Jim about three weeks ago, then I was coughing and had a sore throat, and then finally we could hear the stuffiness in Austin's little nose. If he was feeling nearly as crappy as we felt, then he must be one of he most mild-mannered kids ever. Even after we get in his face and literally suck the snot out of his nose with this ginormous green bulb syringe from the hospital, he is as pleasant as can be. It's so weird. I keep saying he sounds like a pug dog with the stuffed up nose sound effects.

Speaking of animals, I told you last time that we were taking our 16-year old cat, Jordan, to the vet for a check-up. Unfortunately, he did not come home with us. After about a year of multiple pills and special food, he was still losing weight, and still had high blood pressure, hyperthyroidism, a heart murmur and kidney disease. This cat that once weighed over 20 lbs in his glory days was now down to about 10. I knew I had to make one of the hardest decisions of my life. It was very tough, but we elected to put him down. It felt like forever sitting in this small room, just Jim, me and the cat, waiting for the doctor to come back. I asked him if people do this--or was I just being cruel? There were other foods and pills we could try, but I just couldn't fathom putting him through more treatment attempts. The doctor was somewhat consoling when he explained that he doesn't do "convenience euthanasias." Apparently people will go to the vet saying that they've moved into a non-pet property, or they had a baby and don't want the pet, etc. and expect the doctor to euthanise the animal. I knew something was up with Jordan when after the baby came home he wasn't eating well, but it was more than the baby... everything had built up over a long time. The relieving part about it all was that usually when we go to the vet, the cat is meowing in fear every 2 seconds (literally--this is not an exaggeration). One time he even pooped in the car! But he's always on the defensive. This time, he was extremely relaxed, purring and even cuddling up next to me when we were waiting for the doctor. I believe he was ready to go, and his demeanor was his way of telling me it was ok. Jim and I were both sobbing by the time we left the vet office. And that night when I woke up to feed Austin, I remember my vision being a bit foggy because my eyes were still swollen from crying. I had been through so much with that cat! This was certainly a tough day. Maybe in a few years we'll get a new pet to start new memories with. Or as Jim said in the car on the way home, "You know, we may be doing this again in another 20 years when Austin's pet is on the way out." I say for now let's enjoy the baby--he keeps us plenty busy :)

Other updates ... Hmmmm ... well, the Couch-to-5K is going slower than I need it to go, but with the busy schedule lately and the new 5 p.m. darkness, it's tough to get out and run 3x a week. I've finished the first three weeks, but am about a week behind schedule. I remember how much I enjoyed running outdoors this time of year--the cold weather is somehow inspirational (likely in the sense that if you stop, you'll freeze!), and holiday decorations were already popping up like two weeks ago. It was gorgeous to watch the leaves fall, but it seems like people had started putting their Christmas trees up much earlier this year. It's too soon for me if it's before Thanksgiving. Sometimes I guess I just feel like Thanksgiving gets cheated out of it's time. Let's not jump the gun folks. I mean, seriously, how would you feel if Valentine's day stuff was in stores before Christmas?!

Like working out, I am still far from getting my sea legs back in terms of alcohol tolerance. I may have thought certain mixed drinks would have affected me, but one glass of wine? And now my latest casualty, a Sr. Pancho's margarita. We were thrilled to get out of the house for a dinner date with a few college friends at this mexican restaurant in Orrville. Apparently the margaritas were on special that night, so I decided to try one. It was only 12 oz. You'd think I could handle 12 ounces, right?! After about 1/4 of the glass I could already feel it. But after finishing the glass I was laughing so hard I was crying. And nothing was even funny! I just felt like my head was spinning, and looked at Jim and started laughing. There was no explanation for what was happening. Then I turned to the rest of the table and apologized (while still laughing and crying), and pretty much buried my head in my hands until I could contain myself. It was slightly embarassing, so I'm thankful it was in the company of good friends and not complete strangers. Since that outing, we also got to go out to dinner and to a bar to hear some of Jim's work colleagues play in a band. I'm happy to report that I had a full draft beer without any affect :)

The last big update to share is that I start an exciting new job on Monday! I will be a Project Manager for Grabowski & Co.  working Monday, Wednesday and Friday all day. This gig is very much like what I did at Malone Advertising with the Johnson & Johnson account, but it's close to home and part-time. I couldn't be more excited. I still get to be with the kiddo on Tuesdays and Thursdays so it's perfect.  

Ok wait, I lied. Two more exciting updates. Austin has slept through the night three nights in a row! Seriously, he went eight or more hours each night. I am amazed. He is such a good baby. And he is super smiley and giggling now. It's adorable how much his face lights up when he smiles. Adorable. I could just stare at him all day long.

Let the Christmas season begin... I can't wait to share every minute of it with our new bundle of joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment